Untappd

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kona Brewing Co. - Longboard Island Lager

I first discovered Kona brews at a charity event last winter. I headed to the bar expecting the usual boring event selection, when the Pipeline Porter bottle caught my eye. Actually, it was hard to miss. I was pleased with the beer on its own, but the marketer in me was more intrigued by the bottle. Kona's unique look stands out in a crowd. Since then, I've noticed their brews gradually showing up in my grocery stores and have purchased the porter on a few occasions.

Anyway... on to the lager.


Bio
I already established that Longboard is brewed by the Kona Brewing Company, on the big island. The website calls this lager "exceptionally refershing":

"Longboard Island Lager is a smooth refreshing lager fermented and aged for five weeks at cold temperatures to yield its exceptionally smooth flavor. A delicate, slightly spicy hop aroma complements the malty body of this beer."
5.0% ABV


Appearance
Longboard poured with a very slight, lightly foamy head. It has a light, golden color and mostly clear appearance. Not much carbonation. I can tell right away that this is going to drink a bit too easily.

Hell, it even sounds light and refreshing as I'm pouring it. When you try it, listen to the pour. That's a light beer.


Scent
Not much. I had to get my big nose way down into it in order to pick up any hints of the crisp, mild spiciness. Hints of citrus. This beer has a very clean, light scent.

Taste & Feel
No complexity here. Longboard is Mild. It offers up a very light body. Cold, crisp, refeshing.

Drinks clean, dances briefly on the tongue and swallows easily, leaving only a mildly hoppy aftertaste detectable on your lips, but not your mouth.

One deep sip immediately conjures up memories of slipping under fresh cool bed linens after a long day in the sun.

Verdict
This beer was built for the masses, as it's not going to offend anyone's pallete. I can't come up with a better word to descirbe it beyond... clean. This might be the cleanest-tasting beer I've ever had, although that also makes it a bit too mild for my taste.

However, I understand why someone wouldn't mind downing a nice, ice cold one on a hot afternoon. It's a summer brew that might be ok for outdoor entertaining. I can see this pairing with a spicy dish, or something light off the grill. It defininetly won't overpower your meal.

It appears as though Kona beers are available nationwide. I would assume that if your favorite store carries their products, Longboard is certainly among the mix.

No comments: