- I'll try to keep it simple. If you're reading this, you probably want to know 1)how it tastes and 2)where you can find it. If I ever mention gravity or start identifying yeast strains, I've strayed too far from my course.
- Even though I've sampled hundreds of beers, for the purpose of this blog I will only post a review after a fresh sample. Generally speaking, a sample is two bottles or two pints.
- The exception to the above rule is reminiscing about something like that one cask-aged scotch ale I had that one time in Omaha. Not a review, but I don't mind talking about it and making a recommendation.
- The same is true for BBQ. I might never make it back to Amarillo BBQ, but I can still dream about those beans. Trust me, they have the best beans on the planet.
- On second thought, I should probably just visit Nebraska again.
- Speaking of barbecue... unless it's known for a particular dish, reviews of any barbecue place will be based on the pulled pork, brisket or ribs. Sometimes two meats; I like a good combo.
- I don't actively solicit free samples.
- However... I will accept beer samples if offered, and will disclose in my reviews if any have been provided.
- Acceptance of samples is by no means is an agreement that your beer will get a favorable review, or that the review will be posted at all. It's merely an agreement that I'll taste it.
- On the other hand, I will not accept complimentary meals to review. It's tough to make beer better on my behalf, but meals and service can be skewed. I prefer to eat anonymously if I'm going to blog about it afterward.
- Recommendations are always welcomed. Email me, tweet at me, post something on my Facebook page. Get my attention; I'll check out your suggestions.
- I won't post negative reviews. If I'm not crazy about something, I'll at least try to be objective and, if I can see how someone else might enjoy it, I'll post it. If I truly hate it, you won't see it here.
- Just because you don't see something posted, doesn't mean I hated it. I probably just haven't reviewed it yet. Be patient... it's just me and one liver here. We'll get to it eventually.
- Please drink responsibly. If you're under 21, don't drink. If you're over 21, don't drink and drive.
- Drinking and blogging, on the other hand, is very much encouraged. Have a beer or BBQ blog of your own? Send me a link.
Monday, August 24, 2009
The rules of reviews
A few disclaimers, disclosures and CYA BS...
abbey ale amber bar barleywine barrel aged BBQ beer beer list beer selection belgian black ale black IPA blog blonde bourbon brett Brettanomyces brewery brewing brewpub brown ale canned cask chocolate coconut coffee craft beer craft brewing disclaimer documentary dopplebock double IPA double stout dubble durham ESB event festival film fruit funding hazelnut helles holiday hops ice imperial import IPA kickstarter Kölsch kriek lager lambic letter limited local marzen Meat Week movie NC nc beer month news nut oaked oatmeal oktoberfest organic pale ale pilsner pork porter project pub pumpkin quad raleigh rauchbier red ale restaurant review ribs rye saison scotch ale seasonal smoked sour spiced store stout survey sweet potato tap room tour tripel TV vanilla wheat white white ipa winter wit