Untappd

Monday, August 24, 2009

The rules of reviews

A few disclaimers, disclosures and CYA BS...

  • I'll try to keep it simple. If you're reading this, you probably want to know 1)how it tastes and 2)where you can find it. If I ever mention gravity or start identifying yeast strains, I've strayed too far from my course.
  • Even though I've sampled hundreds of beers, for the purpose of this blog I will only post a review after a fresh sample. Generally speaking, a sample is two bottles or two pints.
  • The exception to the above rule is reminiscing about something like that one cask-aged scotch ale I had that one time in Omaha. Not a review, but I don't mind talking about it and making a recommendation.
  • The same is true for BBQ. I might never make it back to Amarillo BBQ, but I can still dream about those beans. Trust me, they have the best beans on the planet. 
  • On second thought, I should probably just visit Nebraska again.
  • Speaking of barbecue... unless it's known for a particular dish, reviews of any barbecue place will be based on the pulled pork, brisket or ribs. Sometimes two meats; I like a good combo.
  • I don't actively solicit free samples. 
  • However... I will accept beer samples if offered, and will disclose in my reviews if any have been provided.
  • Acceptance of samples is by no means is an agreement that your beer will get a favorable review, or that the review will be posted at all.  It's merely an agreement that I'll taste it.
  • On the other hand, I will not accept complimentary meals to review. It's tough to make beer better on my behalf, but meals and service can be skewed. I prefer to eat anonymously if I'm going to blog about it afterward.
  • Recommendations are always welcomed. Email me, tweet at me, post something on my Facebook page. Get my attention; I'll check out your suggestions.
  • I won't post negative reviews. If I'm not crazy about something, I'll at least try to be objective and, if I can see how someone else might enjoy it, I'll post it. If I truly hate it, you won't see it here.
  • Just because you don't see something posted, doesn't mean I hated it. I probably just haven't reviewed it yet.  Be patient... it's just me and one liver here. We'll get to it eventually.
  • Please drink responsibly. If you're under 21, don't drink. If you're over 21, don't drink and drive.
  • Drinking and blogging, on the other hand, is very much encouraged. Have a beer or BBQ blog of your own? Send me a link.
That said, I hope you enjoy!