What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Breckenridge Brewery - Oatmeal Stout

Bio

This is an old favorite that I haven't had in a while. A year-round offering from Colorado-based Breckenridge Brewery, the Oatmeal Stout appears to be widely available. I've never had trouble finding it, anyway.

4.95% ABV

Appearance
Thick, dark, black. I love and have sampled hundreds of dark beers, but this is perhaps, by far, the absolute darkest beer I know of. Even holding it directly up to a lamp, nothing shines through.

It has a dense, root beer float-like head. Heavy lacing.

Aroma
The Oatmeal Stout has a soft, bready aroma with hints of fresh cream and whispers of molasses and pure cacao.

Taste & Feel
Thick, smooth, very creamy. Dare I say...comforting?

The flavor is robust, but not aggressive. It has a nice, roasted malt flavor that finishes with the dry smokiness of a very dark, bitterweet chocolate.

Drinks easy; Too easy. I love to savor it, but can quickly down a pint. Ooops... two pints.

Verdict
I always like catching up with this old friend. Get to know it.

No comments: