Untappd

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Brooklyn Brewery - Black Chocolate Stout

I'm already a fan of Brooklyn's Brown Ale, so when I saw that The Pit had the Black Chocolate Stout on tap, I wasn't about hesitate to try it. 

Bio
Brooklyn's imperial-style stout, brewed for the fall and winter seasons. I haven't seen this one in stores, yet.

10.1% ABV

Appearance
Ominous. This beer is thick and dark, with an opaque black coffee coloring. The head was surprisingly short, but dense and velvety, creating the illusion that someone had floated a thick cut of suede atop my beer. With its rich, caramel-mocha coloring, the head on this stout was darker than some of the actual beers that I've tried.

There was minimal lacing, but when I swirled it around my glass, the beer clung to the sides slightly, giving it an almost oily appearance.

Aroma
Sweet, sticky molasses.

Taste & Feel
Heavily malty, with a strong bittersweet chocolate flavor. It has a very full body that evenly coats your mouth,  has a dry bite and leaves a light bitter aftertaste on your lips.

Verdict
Very good. The Black Chocolate Stout is probably best enjoyed on its own or alongside a sweet, rich dessert. However, I had my second pint with dinner, and it held up nicely next to a smoky, flavorful barbecue meal.

No comments: