What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Belgium Brewing - Mothership Wit

I've been on quite a New Belgium kick lately. We do most of our grocery shopping at Lowes Foods, and they regularly stock NB's offering, making them an enabler of sorts. Straying from my usual choice of dark ales, I decided to give this one a try.

Bio
Mothership is NB's first attempt at brewing a beer from all organic ingredients. This Belgian white takes its name from the company's nickname for the brewery itself.

4.8% ABV

Appearance
This pale white-gold brew has a hazy appearance, characteristic of most wits. Tight bubbles float upward to form a loose, foamy head that leaves modest lacing.

Aroma
Coriander dominates an herby, perfumy, very floral bouquet. There's also a slightly citrus attribute to it.

Taste & Feel
Sometimes, appearances can be deceiving.  Not in this case. Mothership's flavors are as light and bright as its color, with celery and allspice being the strongest. This is a refreshing beer, with a thin, smooth body.
 
Verdict
Not bad. A nice contrast from the stouts and porters that I enjoy so much. 

I've never been a big fan of wheat, but I'm finding that wits are far more tolerable than hefeweizens. This wit in particular has a certain appeal. At first, one might assume it's a light, summery ale, but with a flavor and aroma that compliments stuffing, I can easily see this at our Thanksgiving dinner table.

No comments: