What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fort Collins Brewery - Z Lager

Been kinda quiet around here lately. Between Christmas and a bit of travel, I've been too busy to do any new reviews. Now, I'm fighting a cold and can't taste anything. Boo.

Fortunately, I took notes on a beer I had last week, so I have a new review to add today.

Bio
Z is a a smoked amber lager from Fort Collins Brewery. It is a German-style rauchbier, which uses barley that has been dried over an open beechwood flame, giving it its smoky flavor.

5.5% ABV

Appearance
Z has a clear appearance, bright copper color and a foamy, cream head.

Aroma
Yeasty, with prominent smoke and caramel aromas.

Taste & Feel
Very complex flavors at work here... it starts with a subtle caramel sweetness punctuated with smoked wood. Quite a bit of carbonation, too. A hops bitterness emerges in the medium body before fading into a dry, smoky finish. It leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Verdict
This is a good beer. The smoke flavor has a tendency to dominate the others, but that's OK because it will stand up nicely to a flavorful meal , especially a heap of good barbecue.

As a side note, my cat loves it. I found her ears-deep in my glass, happily licking away at the sweet, smoky treat inside.

No comments: