Untappd

Friday, January 15, 2010

Dogfish Head - Chicory Stout

I usually have to bring my own drinks to family gatherings because no one else shares my love of dark and flavorful beers. Yeah, I don't get it, either... but it's true. No one will touch my beer.

I think they're intimidated.

This Christmas was a bit different, though. I brought Dogfish Head Chicory Stout to dinner and made Mom try one. Much to my - and if I had to guess, hers, too - surprise, she liked it. She even kept a bottle to have later!

Fortunately, I managed to salvage a couple to review.
 
Bio
Chicory Stout is a winter seasonal from Dogfish Head. It's made with roasted chicory and organic Mexican coffee.

5.2% ABV

Appearance
It  looks like a typical stout. Deep mahogany color, nearly opaque appearance. Where it differs is the head. This one has a dense, foamy tan head instead of a creamier one. It looks stiff, like a root beer float.

Aroma
An aggressive aroma. It has a rich, strong, dark roasted coffee smell coupled with a smoky, almost charred, scent. Beneath that, there's a sweetness, with faint bitter chocolate undertones.


Taste & Feel
It starts off with a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. After that, it sets the pleasantries aside and gets down to business as a serious stout. There's a strong coffee flavor, and I'm definitely picking up the chicory. For those who haven't tasted chicory before, it's similar to a strong coffee, but has a woody, more roasted character.

Like many stouts, this one has a full body and a dry finish, with a strong espresso aftertaste.

Verdict
I like it. If you're not a stout fan, you might find the malts to be a bit too aggressive. But, if you're like me, you'll find this to an enjoyable beer.

No comments: