Untappd

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Belgium Brewing - 2° Below Ale

I had my eye on 2° Below for awhile, but kept putting off trying it. Fortunately, my wonderful wife picked up a six pack for me while we were spending New Year's weekend in Boone, NC. 2° Below sounds cold, but in reality was several degrees warmer than the icy wind chill outside. Temperatures were in the single digits and the wind chill was well below zero. When I called the property manager on Sunday because our water stopped, she said. "oh sweety, the well is probably frozen. It's six degrees down here, and you're 1,000 feet higher up. I can't imagine how cold it is there." Encouraging.

What better way to warm up than with a 2° Below? I enjoyed most of them up on the mountain, but made sure to save a couple specifically for reviewing.

I finally got around to having one today (in one of my new beer glasses!)... 

Bio
2° Below is a winter seasonal ale from New Belgium Brewing

6.6% ABV

Appearance
For a beer with such a frosty name, 2° Below has a very warm, bright amber color. It has a crystal clear appearance and a pillowy cream head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. 

Aroma
Pretty straightforward. I enjoyed the spicy and floral hops aroma. It was strong, but not overpowering.

Taste & Feel
Light body, but full of flavor. It starts off with an energetic hoppiness that gives way to a nice spice flavor. I enjoyed it because it wasn't as heavy or spicy as many of the winter seasonals I've had in the past. On the contrary, this one drinks clean and leaves only a mild bitter aftertaste.

Verdict
A good beer that I'd encourage you to try. If you can get New Belgium beers, this one should still be available near you.

No comments: