What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Samuel Adams - Double Bock


Last week at work, one of my co-workers and I were discussing beer styles and he asked if I had tried any of the Sam Adams Imperial Series. I hadn't, which gives me a great excuse to try a few for H&H.

Bio
Double Bock is part of Sam Adams' Imperial Series. It is a malty lager that was initially offered as a seasonal brew but is now part of their year-round selection.

9.5% ABV

Appearance
The first thing you'll notice about this beer is its incredible presentation. It has a rich copper-brown color. A thin, steady stream of bubbles rises through it, settling into a soft, foamy, cream head that leaves heavy lacing.  The clear appearance and slow bubble action give it a very thick, resin-like appearance.

Aroma
Smells good. Give it a quick whiff and it has a strong, bready malt aroma. Draw deeper, and you'll pick up smooth and sweet caramel and banana scents. Even deeper and you'll find an essence of dark liquor.

Taste & Feel
This is definitely a sipping beer. The malt flavors are very well-blended, and if you don't savor it slowly you might have trouble picking them out. It has a sweet caramel and dark stone fruit taste, but also offers up a subtle nutty character and a very mild hops bite.

The medium-full body is exceptionally smooth. It has a syrupy, coating mouthfeel and a warm, slightly boozy finish.

Verdict
I'm torn between saying that I enjoyed this beer and being incredibly embarrassed that I hadn't tried it until now. Fortunately, that's why I usually drink two. I can cast my shame aside after the first and fully indulge in the second.

Sam Adams has proven time and again that you can grow in size without giving up your craft brew values. This beer is a great example of that. It's not the best I've ever had, but it is certainly among the most attractive and well-crafted.

I insist you try Sam's Double Bock, but don't dare drink it straight from the bottle. Slowly pour it into a glass and admire the gorgeous color and aroma.  Sip it, savor it. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: