Untappd

Monday, July 5, 2010

Natty Greene's Brewing Co. - Smoky Mountain Porter

I guess I've been kind of a beer slacker lately, considering that this is one that I enjoyed a few weeks ago. We visited Natty Greene's Brewing Co. (the Raleigh location) and I took notes in my phone, where they've sat until today.

Bio
Pretty simple, this is a beech smoked robust porter.
5.8% ABV

Appearance
The Smoky Mountain Porter was an opaque brown-black color. It had a thin tan head, which quickly dissipated but a modest swirl brought it right back.

Aroma
The aroma was both simple and enjoyable. The malt had a smoky, chocolate character. A light sourness was detectable.

Taste & Feel
Full body, thick creamy mouthfeel. Rich, roasty malt flavor underlined with smooth chocolate notes. Very tingly carbonation... perhaps too much. Dry smoky finish. Lingering bittersweet chocolate taste.

Verdict
Aggressive carbonation, but otherwise a very good beer. I had it with the El Toro burger, which it complemented nicely.

No comments: