What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Flying Bison Brewing Co. - Aviator Red

Today was the kind of day that's part of the reason I moved to North Carolina. It was sunny and close to 70 degrees and I got to spend the afternoon doing a bit of much-needed  yardwork. Not bad for January. It would be easy to use that to harass everyone back home in Buffalo, but I'm going to cap off my day by enjoying a taste of home instead.

Aviator Red, a malty red ale, is the flagship beer of Buffalo's Flying Bison Brewing Company. It's available in bottle year-round and can be found on tap at venues around the city. What I don't know is how widespread their distribution is. I've never seen FB beers outside of Buffalo.

5.25% ABV

Appearance 
This beer has a rich maple syrup color. A high level of clarity reveals quite a bit of large-bubble carbonation.  The pillowy, tan-colored head quickly dissipated, leaving a minimal amount of lacing.

Aroma
The aroma is light and biscuity, with a bit of brown sugar and dry leaves. Even in a wheat glass, which I sometimes like to use to get a good sense of weaker aromas, this one is definitely on the light side.

Taste & Feel
It starts off with a light, but malty, taste. There's some apple and pear flavors present, along with brown sugar and date undertones. It's lightly-hopped, with a bit of spice that shows up toward the finish. The finish itself is fairly light and clean, with a flavor that can best be described as baked apples. The body is thin and smooth, with just a hint of carbonated tingle. Very clean and, overall, not very complex.

Verdict
Highly drinkable. I'd give it a B+.

No comments: