What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Brewery Ommegang - Zuur

Zuur (which means "sour" and in my mind is pronounced as a deep, drawn-out "zoooooooooooor") is a limited edition cherry-infused Flemish sour brown ale, released last summer.  This one is actually brewed in Belgium, and is a collaboration between Cooperstown, NY's Ommegang and Belgium's Liefmans. I have it in a corked & caged 750ml bottle.

I imagine it's nearly impossible to find right now, considering Ommegang doesn't even acknowledge it on their website.

6.0% ABV

Appearance 
Zuur (i love the name, btw) has a somewhat hazy appearance and a deep coppery-brown color. The pour is quite effervescent, with an audible fizz and a visible, bubbly burst that feeds into a fairly thick and dense cream-colored head. The head thins out after a few minutes, but leaves a thin, but dense, cap.

Aroma 
It has a sweet, tart and fruity aroma. Dried cherries and sour candy are prominent, with whiffs of leather and wood. (Damn, I just pulled a Lee Williams and smelled leather in my beer.)

Taste & Feel 
Zuur is tart and fruity from start to finish, with an acidic, wine-like feel. It's sour, but not overwhelming... just enough to create a dry, tingly sensation, but not quite sour enough to make you pucker. Flavors include sour cherry candy, oak and a peaty malt. As it warmed, the fruit/sour/acidity combined to create a tangerine flavor. It's medium bodied and rather carbonated. Malty finish.


Verdict
I want to give it an A, but instead I'm giving it a "Z!"... because I really like to say "Zuur!". Seriously, though,  I enjoyed drinking this as much as I liked saying it. A very well-crafted brew.

No comments: