What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Hop Ottin' IPA

As the seasons change, I'm determined to get in one more IPA before completely giving in to the siren song of dark fall beers. Clinging to the final vestiges of summer, I had to go with a canned IPA. This one is from Anderson Valley Brewing in Boonville, CA.   AVB has been in  business since 1987 and has grown steadily since. Hop Ottin' is part of their regular offering.

I haven't seen other Anderson Valley beers for sale in stores locally, but I have seen one or two on tap at Draft in Raleigh if you'd like to check it out.

7% ABV

Appearance 
A nice-looking IPA. It has a deep amber color and hazy appearance that gives it a warm, welcoming glow. Ample carbonation is present, at least in the pour. That feeds into a cream-colored, root beer float-like head that leaves a bit of sticky lacing.

Aroma 
A light, pleasant aroma. Yeasty, bready malt notes underlie a pungent, floral hops. Balanced, but clearly favoring the hops.  
Taste & Feel 
Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy. Pine and citrus hit strong and fast up front. A light, caramel sweetness peeks through the middle just before a bold, dry, grapefruit finish that leaves a citrusy, resin aftertaste.

Verdict
Impressive. If you enjoy big, bold and hoppy, this is one you'll want to try. For as powerful as the hops are, it remains surprisingly well-balanced. Good enough to earn an A- from me.

My realtor was here today and I offered her one. Her first reaction was, "Hoooooooo, that's flavorful!" After a few sips, she said it was a bit strong, but the taste really grew on her. I think you'll agree.

No comments: