What I'm Drinking (via Untappd)

Friday, October 5, 2012

Orange Blossom Pilsner - Toasted Coconut Porter

I'm playing around with the formatting for reviews. For now, I'm trying short narratives for the background and verdict, but the facts will be in a simplified format. Feedback is welcomed!
Have to credit both OBP, the creators of Orange Blossom Pilsner and OBP Squared, as well as the folks at Thomas Creek Brewery. This is an OBP recipe, but brewed at Thomas Creek. I picked up a couple bottles during my first-ever visit to Bottle Revolution in Raleigh. It's a cool place with a good selection. Check it out when you get a chance.

Anyway, back to the beer...

BASICS
Style: American porter, brewed with coconut
Availability: Year-round
ABV: 5.25%
Serving Type:12 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter

APPEARANCE 
Color: Dark brown
Clarity: Opaque
Carbonation: Ample. Small bubbles near head.
Head:Dense, khaki-colored, quickly dissipated
Lacing:Very light

EXPERIENCE 
Aromas: Strong and roasty. Coffee is most prominent with coconut, caramel and cream notes
Flavors: Dark roasted coffee with a touch of coconut. Light, earthy hops.
Body: Medium-full
Feel:Aggressive up front, smooth middle, dry finish

VERDICT
It's good, but not spectacular. The coconut flavor is a decent complement for a porter. If you have the opportunity to pair this with a sweet dessert, especially something creamy or vanilla, definitely do that. I bought two bottles, and I'll likely try pairing the other one with a carrot cake ice cream that I have.

No comments: